Friday, October 03, 2008

The Opposite of Easy

If I were to think of things that are difficult for me to deal with, these will be in the list: heat (temperature), physcial exertion, anger, irrationality, grief, rejection, and love. And the greatest of all is love. Yes, love.


It might just sound a little ironic for someone who claims to "love life" and is about to get married. But for me, it is far more physically, mentally, and emotionally draining than all of the other things put together. Why, you may ask? It's because love REQUIRES a lot of things:

- Leaving your comfort zones
- Thinking of others before yourself
- Battling with your personal thoughts and emotions
- Accepting what you don't understand
- Embracing your fears and swallowing your pride
- Appreciating what little time you have knowing that everything shall pass
- Exceeding your own, as well as others', expectations
- Remembering to love yourself even as you grow to love others more
- Having great Faith


Grief and other negative emotions are transformed over time. Maybe as something more positive or maybe as something bordering on apathy. Temperature, together with the seasons, come and go. They are all transitory. Among them, only love maintains its staying power.


I think of our parents who were/are tired of taking care of us, their children. Imagine the stress and the strength that this entails. There is no turning back and no giving up. What mother (or father) does not love a son/daughter until their very last breath? I think of all those who love even if life has been unkind to them--the victims of abuse, poverty, and other circumstances. They have forgotten or have chosen to forget the bad for the good. I think of the most powerful and mighty God who loves us unconditionally. Talk about loving the most unlovable! I also think of those who gave up their lives for the love of a God who is intangible. I think of me and my love for my God, family, friends, and my fiance that requires me to do/think/feel things that tire me.


Love is far from a walk in the park. It is really hard work! What is twisted about this is that despite all the "inconveniences" that it entails, love makes you happy. It is a gift that we received and are compelled to give in return. It is not to be confused with romance, infatuation, or lust.


My advice: if you're not "happy" happy, think and evaluate your "love". We should all renew our resolve to live and love because, really, in all the exhaustion that they bring, we need to be reminded most of the time.


No comments: